Git Version Control Cookbook – Second Edition
- Paperback: 354 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook; 2nd Revised edition (July 26, 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1789137543
- ISBN-13: 978-1789137545
Git Version Control Cookbook, 2nd Edition: A series of practical recipes to simplify the Git learning experience and increase your productivity when using Git version control
Git is one of the most popular tools for versioning. Git Version Control Cookbook, Second Edition builds on the success of the previous edition and provides you with an up-to-date guide to solving problems related to versioning.
- Understand the Git data model and use commands to navigate the database
- Find out how you can recover lost commits or files
- Force a rebase on some branches and use regular Git to merge on the rest
- Master the techniques required to extract metadata from repositories
- Explore Git notes and learn about the various features that it offers
- See how to decode different subcommands
You’ll start by learning about the Git data model and how it stores files and looks at commits. By using simple commands, you’ll learn how to navigate through the database. Once you have accustomed yourself to the basics, you’ll explore techniques to configure Git with comprehensive examples and configuration targets. You’ll gain insights into improving your understanding of branches and recovery from mistakes – right from committing to a wrong branch to recovering lost commits or files. You’ll then move on to discovering the features that Git rebase has to offer and use regular Git merge on other branches. You’ll explore Git notes and learn how to utilize the update, list, and search commands. In addition to this, you’ll learn how to extract metadata from repositories and automate your daily tasks using Git hooks. You’ll then study in detail repository maintenance, patching, and offline sharing. By the end of the book, you’ll have grasped various tips and tricks for everyday usage, while increasing your knowledge of Git providers, integrations, and clients.