Cloud-Native Observability with OpenTelemetry
- Paperback: 386 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (May 4, 2022)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1801077703
- ISBN-13: 978-1801077705
Cloud-Native Observability with OpenTelemetry: Leverage OpenTelemetry’s API, libraries, tools and the collector to produce and collect telemetry along with using open-source tools to analyze distributed traces, check metrics and logs, and gain insights into application health
Cloud-Native Observability with OpenTelemetry is a guide to helping you look for answers to questions about your applications. This book teaches you how to produce telemetry from your applications using an open standard to retain control of data. OpenTelemetry provides the tools necessary for you to gain visibility into the performance of your services. It allows you to instrument your application code through vendor-neutral APIs, libraries and tools.
By reading Cloud-Native Observability with OpenTelemetry, you’ll learn about the concepts and signals of OpenTelemetry – traces, metrics, and logs. You’ll practice producing telemetry for these signals by configuring and instrumenting a distributed cloud-native application using the OpenTelemetry API. The book also guides you through deploying the collector, as well as telemetry backends necessary to help you understand what to do with the data once it’s emitted. You’ll look at various examples of how to identify application performance issues through telemetry. By analyzing telemetry, you’ll also be able to better understand how an observable application can improve the software development life cycle.
- Understand the core concepts of OpenTelemetry
- Explore concepts in distributed tracing, metrics, and logging
- Discover the APIs and SDKs necessary to instrument an application using OpenTelemetry
- Explore what auto-instrumentation is and how it can help accelerate application instrumentation
- Configure and deploy the OpenTelemetry Collector
- Get to grips with how different open-source backends can be used to analyze telemetry data
- Understand how to correlate telemetry in common scenarios to get to the root cause of a problem
By the end of this Cloud-Native Observability with OpenTelemetry book, you’ll be well-versed with OpenTelemetry, be able to instrument services using the OpenTelemetry API to produce distributed traces, metrics and logs, and more.